Tuesday 30 July 2019

boot - Folders disappear every time Windows XP starts up

Symptoms:


Whenever my Windows XP machine starts up, subfolders disappear from the first top-level folder, listed alphabetically (eg. from "C:\AA Backups"). The first time it happened I suspected user error (such as an unintentional delete or copy). But I then found it happens on every start-up, sometimes affecting huge numbers of files.


What I've tried:




  • Renaming the affected folder (e.g. to "ZZ Backups") just means that a different folder is affected the next time.




  • Avast found no virus or malware that would seem to be responsible.




  • The missing files are not visible to an undelete utility such as NTFSUndelete.




  • Running chkdsk/f found no problems and did not fix the problem.




  • File permissions also appear corrupted – a few files which should be accessible are missing "read" permission.




What's happened to this machine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...