Monday 29 July 2019

hard drive - Bios/Windows cannot detect my bad harddisk


I got a bad ide harddisk from my friend, and he wants to save the data in the bad harddisk.


I can see the drives of the harddisk when I first connected it. Then I tried to copy the files from the harddisk to my intact harddisk, it end up with some kind of error - files cannot be copied because of bad sector.


I am hopeless, so I searched the internet and got a software called SeaTools for windows. Executed it. It said "Scanning hard drives, please wait..." for a minute and pop up an error. I confirmed the error then the software went off.


Then I reboot my pc and I cannot find the harddisk anymore. Bios cannot find it, windows cannot find it.


My Motherboard is okay, ide cable and ide slot on motherboard is okay.


And I think the power is okay too. There is no sound/vibration from the spinning of the harddisk, but when I touch on of the chips on the harddisk( yes, the chips is exposed) and it is hot, indicating some kind of activity.


Any idea? Is the harddisk dead?



Answer



Actually, if the chip is hot enough for you to say it’s “hot”, and not just “warm” when you touch it, and if the platter is not even spinning, then (for all intents and purposes) it is indeed most likely dead. Maybe the circuit board has short-circuited or burned out or something, and now the platters won’t spin; that would also explain why the system cannot detect the drive.


At this point, the drive is likely dead enough that you don’t really have much more to lose, so you may want to try freezing it. I’ve read quite a few stories of people (with mixed results) who have been able to get a dead drive working for long enough to extract their files. Other methods include heating it with a blow dryer or jarring it somehow, usually in an attempt to get a stuck platter to start spinning again.


Of course it depends on exactly what the problem is (often a stuck platter), and in your case, if a chip or other component on the board has burned out, then freezing it may (probably?) won’t help.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...