Wednesday 24 July 2019

boot - Can I dd from my current hard drive to another hard drive while running the OS

My initial thought is that this is a bad idea.


But let's assume that I can't take a USB stick into my lab to run a live-Linux distro, and my computer has only 2-SATA ports. I have one 80GB SATA drive that I want to dd to my new 1TB drive.


Both drives will take my only 2 SATA ports, I have no IDE ports, I have no USB CDROM drive, and cannot use a USB stick.


Is it a bad idea to try to dd from a running OS to a new drive? Will the drive boot? I can format/partition the extra free space later, I just need to know if my new drive will boot before I begin the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...