Saturday 27 July 2019

windows 7 - How to reduce disk thrashing (paging)?


I have 4 GB of RAM, but Windows still thrashes disk sometimes (especially often when an application is minimized for some time and then I activate it again). Completely stupid, because Task Manager shows 2 GB of RAM are free. Is there any way to prevent Windows swapping out program memory?


I tried setting Superfetch to cache startup files only (it helped a bit) and turning off paging file (it helped much, and worked well for me in Windows XP; but Windows Vista/Windows 7 don't allow that - it shows "low on memory" message frequently, even when I have 1 GB of RAM free.)


What can you advise me to do?



Answer



The only way I've found was to increase RAM size to 8 GBs and turn off paging by setting



HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\DisablePagingExecutive=1



(reboot required).


That reduced disk activity to nearly zero.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...