Tuesday 30 July 2019

windows 7 - How to remove Encrypted flag when copying a file from a HDD to a USB drive?

Environment: Windows 7, but applies to other EFS-compatible Windows versions


I have a file that is encrypted using standard Windows EFS encryption. When I copy that file to a USB drive using Total Commander or Explorer, the file stays encrypted at the destination.


Such encrypted file is inaccessible on any other Windows PC where my USB drive gets plugged in. I could import my personal certificates on that PC, but that's about the last thing I would like to do.


I would like the copying process automatically decrypt my file when the file is copied to a removable drive. Is there a way to tell Windows to do that?


A brute-force way to decrypt the file on-the-fly would be to switch to FAT as a file system on my USB drive, but I don't want to do that either.


Thanks in advance for any hints!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...