Sunday 21 July 2019

internet explorer - Create a basic html file that opens in IE


I created a basic html file and it opens fine in firefox. But in IE it just shows up as plain text (the tags are shown instead of rendered).


My file looks like this





Testing html rendering


This is a test to display html


blah blah blah blah blah





I feel like there is a setting wrong on my computer. Because apps that are using embedded IE controls are failing to render as well.


Any help would be great!


Thanks!



Answer



This could very well be a problem in the registry.


Look for the following key in the registry editor (which I hope you're familiar with):


[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html]

Does the "Content Type" REG_SZ value exist, and if so, what is its value?




  • If it does exist, it should be "text/html".




  • If it doesn't exist, use the (Default) REG_SZ value to locate the associated file type HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key. E.g. if it says htmlfile, look under:


    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile]

    If that key doesn't have a "Content Type" value either (or it isn't "text/html"), create it and set it to "text/html". That should fix it.




If you have to make that change, though, it might just be a stop-gap solution, since I don't know what actually "corrupted" those MIME types in the first place.


I also don't know if there are any other, better ways to fix this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...