Sunday 4 August 2019

windows - Is it possible to limit the memory an application is allowed to use?


I've used tools to effectively reduce the amount of RAM available to all applications, but is there something to do the same on a per application basis?


Specifically, I'm looking to limit the memory usage of Firefox 3.5 on an older machine with just 128MB RAM. Currently, Windows 2000 and ancilliaries (including a basic firewall) consume about 80-85MB. Open a few tabs in Firefox and physical RAM is soon used up causing inevitable slowdown.


Whilst I welcome ideas relating to Firefox, I'd really appreciate a more general approach that I could apply to any application.


Thanks.



Answer



I know this isn't a general approach to limiting the amount of RAM available to the applications, but here is a nice guide to limiting the amount of RAM available to firefox.


I'm not sure if there is a general approach to limiting memory usage for single applications (except for maybe java applications).


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...