Friday 30 August 2019

ocr - How can I identify fonts from an image?



Many times I come across bitmaps with nothing but text paragraphs, so I was looking for a way to identify the font used, the paragraph alignment, line spacing and color, bold, italics.


Would an OCR package allow me to do that?


If not, what other options do I have?



Answer



There are several online utilities can be used to identify fonts, including:



These utilities cannot be used to determine the formatting of the text in an image. However, you can use OCR programs such as Tesseract (open source) and Smart OCR (commercial, starting from US$99.90) to detect formatting such as paragraph alignment and line spacing as well as font styles such as bold or italic (see this Stack Overflow question). Note that some OCR programs can attempt to identify the font(s) in an image as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...