Thursday 29 August 2019

external hard drive - WD My Book making odd noises (doesn't sound like Click of Death)

I have a 2TB WD MyBook connected via Firewire. It is set-up as a 2TB drive (striped) rather than a 1TB drive (mirrored). It is less than 6 months old, contains less than 1TB of data, and is used mainly to store & play video media.


Reads and writes work as expected, however reads have started making an odd clunking noise. At first I thought it might be the Click of Death, but wikipedia's article has a recording of a WD drive failing and my drive doesn't sound like it.


Should I be worried, or is this common for striped drives? Is there anything I can do to help quiet the sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...