Monday 5 August 2019

ssd - I can boot from a clone, but only when the original drive isn't plugged in

I have a Samsung 850 EVO with Windows 10 installed and a new, blank Samsung 960 EVO. I'd like to move Windows to the 960 since it's faster. Then I can wipe the 850 and use it as extra storage.


I installed the blank 960 in my system and booted into Windows, which is on the 850. Using Samsung's Data Migration Tool, which can be found on this page, I successfully cloned all of my data from the 850 to the 960.


No problems so far, but here's where I encounter an issue: If the 850 is unplugged, I can boot into Windows just fine on the 960. If both drives are plugged in, I can't boot with the 960.


If I boot with both drives plugged in and go into the BIOS to select the 960 as first in the boot order, the options are: enter image description here


If I select Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB as the first option and leave the 850 enabled for the second and third options (not sure why it appears in the list twice), the system thinks about booting with the 960 for a few seconds, a few underscores or dashes flicker, and then the system successfully boots with the 850. When this happens, the 960 is inaccessible: enter image description here


If I disable the 850, the same underscores or dashes flicker, but then I'm returned to the BIOS.


When I boot with only the 960 plugged in, I get these options, and the system boots perfectly, just without the 850.enter image description here


I need to be able to boot into the OS with the 960 while the 850 is plugged in so that I can wipe the 850, but this isn't working. I also tried booting with just the 960 and then hot plugging the 850, but the 850 didn't show up at all in Disk Management.


The motherboard is an ASUS PRIME Z370-A with BIOS version 0607 x64.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...