Sunday 4 August 2019

file management - Paths for storing Windows utility programs - pros and cons

There are lots of utilities for Windows that just come as executables (no installers) so its up to you to decide where to save the files. A classic example is the Sysinternals suite.


At the moment I usually stick them into C:\Utils



  • The main con of this is that the directory is not indexed by default so you cannot launch the utils from the start menu without an extra step.

  • A minor con is it doesn't 'feel' very legit (i.e. I think according to Windows standards you are not meant to store stuff outside of Users or Program Files these days).


I am wondering what the pros and cons of using other paths are, and hence are there better options than C:\Utils that I haven't thought of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...