Sunday 21 July 2019

virtual machine - Can a 64-bit OS run as a guest on a 64-bit VirtualBox host?


Is it possible to run a 64-bit OS as a guest on a 64-bit machine with VirtualBox? I'm guessing it should be, but I'd like to make sure.


Do some virtualization technologies allow a single guest machine to use multiple cores? I guess it should be possible, but my VirtualBox open-source edition doesn't seem to do it.



Answer



Yes, you can run a 64-bit OS as a guest with VirtualBox on a 64-bit host.


VirtualBox will definitely allow usage of multiple cores on guest machines, but it depends on your hardware - quintessentially your CPU.


For example, on certain Intel CPUs - especially the Duo Core (Celeron) series, it does not support VT-x technology, and also does not support EMT64 technology, thus you are limited to running only on a single core, and 32-bit guest OSes.


Check your processor, the defining factors are there.


Intel Processor Spec Finder


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...