Monday 1 April 2019

troubleshooting - PC freezes after repeated clicking noises


I have an oldish PC (Athlon XP 2200, WinXP). Every time I switch it on, I hear a loud "click" first of all, and when it is shut down, again a click is the last sound I hear.


Lately it started to behave erratically: it started to click loudly in the middle of a session. First only once in a while, then repeatedly for several seconds in a row, and finally it froze completely. We were not doing anything particular during these times, usually just browsing the web. This has already happened twice in a few week's time period. We typically use it only in the evenings, so when the freeze happened, I just decided it is time for the bed. When it was started up the next day, everything looked fine.


Any hints on what could be the culprit? We are backing up all the data stored on it, and then will open the case to look inside, but I thought it would be good to get some background info first of all.



Answer



I'd start with the hard drive. A dying hard drive can start to make audible clicks as it spins its way to death. It's so common it's referred to as The Click of Death. And a dying hard drive can certainly freeze a system up. I would make your very next move a duplication of your hard drive. Make sure it's backed up and the backup works.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...