Friday 26 April 2019

ubuntu - Can a physical partition with Windows XP be directly used for booting a Virtual Machine?




Possible Duplicate:
Booting into a Virtual Machine from a physical installation



(there are a lot of similar questions but I did not find one which seems to fit my scenario):


I have a PC with



  • Windows XP installed on Partition 1,

  • Ubuntu 12.10 Linux on Partition 2 and

  • data (files) on Partition 3 (NTFS).


I'd like to use Ubuntu Linux as the main OS which is booted directly and I would like to use Windows XP in a Virtual Machine (with Freeware like VMWare Player, Virtual Box ...) but I'd like to have the possibility to also directly boot Windows XP from Partition 1.


So: is it possible to use Partition one as the main hard drive for a virtual machine as well as for dual boot alternately?


This seems to be possible with VMWare Workstation (see here: https://superuser.com/a/70003/92184) which however is not free AFAIK - would it also be possible with a Freeware Virtual Machine?



Answer



Here you go Martin, glad you find it as helpful. I generally try to prove things work before I give people a rabbit to chase!



VirtualBox : Use Raw Disk to load Windows under Linux


Here I explain how to use a Physical disk partition for a guest OS under VirtualBox. This is also called Raw Disk partition use for VirtualBox. My use case was to run WindowsXP as guest OS from a physical installation under Linux and still be able to boot up the system in same Windows installation when needed. My system is running Ubuntu 11.04 on core2 duo, 3GB memory, two hard disks (one with Ubuntu and other with WindowsXP installation), with VirtualBox 4.0.4. Process... (continued in link)



I have run something similar before a few years back, but I do not recall the step-by-step. Virtualbox is highly recommended as a VM program (cross platform as well). Once you get it set up, you may hit a few snags if you boot to physical again since the VM doesn't fully emulate the environment you installed it on (especially if you install the Guest Additions).


Note: Looks like VirtualBox's website is temporarily offline, but it should be in the Ubuntu repos for you if you do not have it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...