Monday 29 April 2019

windows 7 - External HDD is always in use when trying to safely remove

I have a WD 1TB Elements external hard drive, and every time I use the Windows 7 "safely remove" feature, it gives me a dialog telling that a process is using the disk.


Using Sysinternals Process Explorer and the answer on this Can Windows tell me what is using my USB drive? question, I get the following result:


Process Explorer


Process: System, PID: 4, Type: File, Names starting with E:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$Txf


What is the $Extend folder and why is it in use? How can I disable it? I cannot remove it using the command line (access denied).


Edit: I've followed the instructions over here on Microsoft TechNet, and under the registry key


HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

I have a multi-string value named IgnoreNTFS with data \$Extend\* /s.


But this does not make any difference. Also, this question is not about a server.


Additionally I can tell that I use a program called mkv2vob to convert video files with a Matroska container into something my PS3 will play. I convert the source files straight from my external HDD, but I would expect if this program does not release the lock on the HDD, surely it cannot be locked if the process isn't even running?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...