Thursday 25 April 2019

performance - NTFS compression on SSD - ups and downs

This topic discusses NTFS compression on HDDs as a method of improving disk access performance, and concludes that it's poor at that more often than not. But I have always viewed compression as a way to conserve space, and learned its effectiveness at that. And now I have an SSD where space is expensive and performance penalty e. g. for reading / writing 2 clusters instead of 1 is much lower.


On the other hand, since SSDs are much faster than HDDs, I would expect that higher throughput will result in higher CPU usage. Can this become an issue? Any other thoughts on the matter?


I like the space saving effect, it's not huge but it's there. If performance is a concern, though, I would rather turn it off:


enter image description here

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...