Friday 26 April 2019

Dual booting Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu: Can I keep fast startup enabled in Windows if I do NOT have a shared partition?

After recently reformatting, I installed Windows 8.1, leaving half my drive unallocated. I would like to install Ubuntu in that unallocated space. The common wisdom seems to be that it is necessary to disable Fast Startup in order to prevent data loss when using such a dual-boot setup.


However, my impression is that such risk occurs when one OS tries to write to a shared partition while the other is hibernated. If I do not have any shared partitions between the two OSs - that is, if Windows only ever accesses its own partition(s, including recovery) and Ubuntu only accesses its own partition, does this risk remain? Under such circumstance is there any other downside to keeping Fast Startup enabled?


Further, if this setup did involve a shared partition, does the danger remain even when mounting as read-only?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...