Thursday 25 April 2019

Is it possible to automate a driver change on Windows for a plug&play peripheral?

Is it possible to automate a change of driver for a same peripheral, under Windows ? Typically to switch between two ones. (I'm talking about the kind of driver which doesn't require the computer to reboot, typically).


I have a peripheral for which I use the constructor's driver in some cases, but also a modified driver in other cases. Not that the changing driver is really annoying, but I would like to know if it would be possible to make it easier, like for example in a shortcut. I know the name of the driver, even which files involved.


For more details, the concerned peripheral is a "Xbox360 Gamepad for Windows" (or something like this). The base driver is good for new games, but it doesn't handle correctly older ones (some issues with axes, and vibrations). The modified driver makes it behave like a classic controller, but then it doesn't work correctly on new games (typically using the new version of dxinput linked to the "Games for Windows"). However, this is not a question specific to this gamepad, I'm asking in general about automating this change of drivers.


I currently use Windows XP, so my question is mostly about it, but I'm also interested in the same issue for later versions (Windows 7, most likely).


I'm not really sure if this is even possible, but in case someone has an idea, I'm asking.




Edit: Since asking this question I haven't really been in condition to give it time again, for example to try what harrymc proposed (and now quack). So I apologize for the lack of feedback so far, but I will correct that, some later day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...