Friday 26 April 2019

networking - Hyper-V Virtual Switch issue: Same IP on guest and host


I have Hyper-V installed on my Windows 10 laptop and have configured a Ubuntu VM on it. Ubuntu network adapter is connected with the external virtual switch I have created. With this configuration I would expect that the host and the guest should get different IP address from DHCP server. However they are both getting the same IP and I can't pinpoint the cause. Below are the print screens of virtual switch, network adapters on host, host network status and guest network status.


Here it's the virtual switch configuration


The network adapters on the host


Host configuration. Notice MAC and IP


Guest configuration. Notice MAC and IP


Can anyone see what's wrong in this configuration? Also, what should I change so both the host and the guest get their own IP and are presented independetly on the network?



Answer



Some DHCP servers always assign the same IP address to the same MAC.


Since your upstream is a regular (non-WDS) Wi-Fi connection, it can only have one MAC address – not multiple. The only reason Windows even allowed you to put it into a bridge is that it performs L2 NAT (arpnat) for you, rewriting your VMs' packets on the fly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...