Sunday 28 April 2019

VirtualBox fails to start on Windows Server 2003

For reasons I cannot disclose, I need to install a Linux server within a VirtualBox host running in Windows Server 2003. Unfortunately, VirtualBox fails to start, giving me an error that seems to indicate it could not build a chain of trust to the executable's certificate.



WinVerifyTrust failed on stub executable: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_CHAINING on '\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe'(rc=-22919)



System details:



  • Operating system: Windows Server 2003 SP 1

  • Last updated: unknown

  • VirtualBox version: 5.0.0


I did do some research on my own, which pointed to a failed update. I attempted to run Windows Update to fix it, but it failed with multiple errors. I tried removing SoftwareDistribution and restarting the Windows Update server to fix this, but the errors persisted.


Another inquiry led me to this, which directed me to install the executable's certificate. I followed the article's instructions, and installed Symantec's certificate (under countersignatures) for good measure. After a reboot, my problem was still not resolved.


Finally, I tried clearing the CRL cache by running certutil -urlcache crl delete in cmd and rebooting. Unfortunately, that did not work either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...