Saturday 27 April 2019

windows - How can I open a URL on a schedule in the default browser?


I'm looking for a mechanism to open a single URL in the user's current default browser on a schedule/recurring basis.


I know that if I was writing .Net code to do this, I could simply do something along the lines of Process.Start("http://example.com/somePage.html") which will cause the default browser to open to that address. Likewise, I can go to Start -> Run and type in a given address and that too will cause the default browser to open to that address. Using this knowledge, I thought I would create a Windows Scheduled Task where the "Start a program" field was set to the URL I wanted to start. Unfortunately, this doesn't work. When the task runs, the URL is not opened (nor are any browsers).


Can anyone point me in the right direction to make this happen? Ideally, I would like to stay away from 3rd-party utilities, leveraging Windows' Task Scheduler would be great. Also, just to be clear, I'm not looking for a browser plugin to accomplish this.


Also, I'm not looking for anything fancy wrt waking a sleeping computer to carry this task out. I'm fine with just letting this happen only when a user is logged in.



Answer



I would create a batch file containing:



start http://example.com/somePage.html



And point Task Scheduler to that batch file. You can also test that it will work by running the batch file manually.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...