Monday 15 April 2019

terminal - Linux command line tool to batch rename MP3 files based on ID3 tag info, or give random name if no ID3 info present


I have a bunch of recovered mp3 files that have system generated filenames. I want to use any embedded ID3 tag info in the files to rename each one to something human readable.


I've tried 'mp3rename' from the debian apt repo but it doesn't handle mp3 files without id3 tagging automatically. Is there a workable alternative?



Answer



id3v2 and some scripting should make this possible. I'll look through the man pages and try to write up an example, but id3v2 -l file will list the tags from that file. From there you can pipe through awk/sed/whatever to end up with a command to rename the file.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...