Tuesday 16 April 2019

Can't install Windows 7 service packs with SSD and HDD setup


My computer has consistently failed to install sp1 for many months now, and I finally tried to install it manually.


I got an error 'ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE', I can only assume this is because of my SDD setup.



'The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive'



I have hard symlinks (junctions) on my C:/ drive that map to the Program Files directory and everything pretty much except for the System files on my D:/ drive (HDD)


However, SP1 doenst seem to like this. Anyway around this? I havent had much luck finding information from searching?



Answer



Rather than using symbolic links, move the folder and change the registry keys as explained here : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5542100/changing-program-files-default-location-in-windows-7


On a side note, I wonder why some programs have issues with symbolic links. It is extremely rare but it happens (Windows update in your case and the other one I can think of is the Bitcoin client)


Check the last post of that thread if you have a 64 bit OS - you have one more registry key to change.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...