Saturday 26 October 2019

networking - Method for testing bandwidth/speed between two set points


I often work from home and wanted to see how good the connection was between the two points. I can speed test both locations of course, but that isn't necessarily representative of the actual throughput between the two points.


Given the different ISP's and service speeds, I imagine I'd get different results depending on which end I test from. One connection has 3x the upload speed making it the better server end I believe.


The results of a test like this test would be useful and interesting for determining how I might configure network services.



Answer




  • Setup an FTP server on the end points.

  • Setup an FTP client on the other end(s).

  • Use FTP to transfer a large(ish) test file in each direction (do upload and download tests on both ends).

  • Do it a few times to get an average time/speed.

  • Repeat after making configuration changes.


Recommended FTP Server/Client: FileZilla


Perhaps check out these related questions for some ideas as well:



No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...