Saturday 26 October 2019

networking - Allow two subnets to talk to each other over a wireless bridge


I have two subnets connected over a wireless bridge and I'm trying to figure out how to get them to talk to each other.


Subnet 1



  • Router: Netgear wireless

  • Router IP: 192.168.1.1

  • DHCP range: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

  • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

  • Internet: Connected directly to cable modem


Subnet 2



  • Router: Linksys running dd-wrt

  • Router IP: 192.168.2.1

  • DHCP range: 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254

  • Internet: Connected to the Netgear router via a wireless bridge

  • WAN IP: 192.168.1.10


When I'm on Subnet 1, I can't connect to anything on Subnet 2 (even the wireless bridge IP of 192.168.1.10).


When I'm on Subnet 2, I can connect to everything on 192.168.2.* as well as the Subnet 1 router on 192.168.1.1. But I can't connect to any other machines on Subnet 1.


The physical limitations of my house make the wireless bridge a requirement. I don't think making a wired connection between the two subnets is an option.


How can I set things up so machines on both subnets can communicate with each other and still get to the Internet?



Answer



Your setup is not a wireless bridge, just a way of using the wireless medium to carry a network connection to another router, the second "router" should be setup as a bridge to pass-thru all network traffic, making this all one subnet with one router handling all DHCP and routing functions for the entire LAN. This is called a Client-Bridge configuration and is a common DD-WRT application.


http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...