Wednesday 23 October 2019

linux - How to delete lost files in NTFS drive


I faced a problem like the one described here. Basically, after connecting my NTFS external hard drive to my TV, two folders were lost, appearing only as a 0KB file.


I have been able to recover the information with a recovery tool. My problem now is that the "lost" files are still in the hard drive (so I have two copies of them, one I can't access and the other one in its right location -the retrieved files). The lost files are taking up a lot of space, so I´d like to remove them but I don´t know how. My normal approach would be to copy the files to another hard drive, format the problematic one and then copy the information to it again. However, I don´t have enough space in my other drives to do that.


Any tools or procedures to do that? I can use Windows and Linux tools.



Answer



I finally fixed the problem using GetDataBackSimple, after having no success with other tools like Recuva, ntfs-3g or Windows' chkdsk.


This tool will recover the files to a different unit, and place the found items in the originally-broken unit under a found.xxx directory, that can be deleted after the recovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...