Thursday 31 October 2019

How do I get the Modern UI of Firefox in Windows 8?


Mozilla mentions



Elm is the experimental repository where most of our Metro development work has been happening.



Now, I grabbed the latest nightly from the Elm repo, installed it & then despite starting it from the start screen, I was still provided the desktop version.


Is there a way I can get the Metro Modern UI of Firefox in Windows 8? Do I need to add some extra command line arguments or something?



Answer



Ok, firstly, there seems to be a quirk in Windows 8: only the default browser can be launched with Modern UI. I have tested with IE, FF and Chrome on the Enterprise Evaluation and they will all launch the Desktop version unless set as default. Additionally, as soon as a browser is set as the default handler for HTTP/HTTPS, any other running Modern UI is instantly closed. More information is available at this question.


So, I have it running fine. There were a few things I did, any of which may be responsible:




  • Installed an older Firefox build (FF 18), specifically the installer executable




  • Set as default for all via Control Panel => Programs => Default Programs => Set Default Programs => Nightly


    Screenshot
    Click for full size




  • When the Modern UI version launched, but hung with a blank screen, I closed it via Task Manager, set IE back to default, and set Nightly to default again. At this point, the Modern UI version of FF worked.




  • Installed the latest elm build (FF 19, 24-Oct-2012 06:06), again from the installer executable. Restarted.




So, now I have Nightly running with Modern UI:


Screenshot of FF Modern UI
Click for full size


Screenshot of FF Modern UI, snapped
Click for full size


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...