Friday 25 October 2019

windows 10 - CPU and Memory Running Well Below Set Clock Speed


The last time I used my PC was December 30th, and it worked perfectly. I turned it off, went out of town for a week, and when I returned, I turned it on to discover that my CPU and memory were running well below their rated clock speed that was set in the BIOS, obviously causing performance issues. The CPU hovers at around .77-.79 GHz both while idle and under load. Along with this, my CPU is receiving .88 volts from the socket, and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be somewhere near 2.5 V. My temperatures hover around 30°C, so it shouldn't be throttling at all.


I updated all of my drivers and my BIOS, and I double-checked the BIOS to make sure that everything was dialed in correctly.


I believe this is a Windows issue, as my boot times are just as fast as they always were, and the performance issues are only noticeable after booting. These issues also only started happening after Windows updated itself automatically two days ago. I have since reverted back to an earlier version of Windows 10, which didn't fix anything except for the BSODs I was receiving due to irql errors.


I have called Microsoft Support four times and none of them had any idea what they were talking about. If anybody here can help me, that would be greatly appreciated. I will include screenshots from CPU-Z.


CPU


Memory


It's a custom-built desktop. i5 4690k on an ASRock Extreme IV mobo



Answer



go into Power Options (the Control Panel version), select High Performance, click "change plan settings", and then click "Restore default settings for this plan" (screenshot of the dialog box, yeah it's for balanced performance it's the only screenshot I could find: tinyurl.com/j92sjny). – misha256


This turned out to be the issue. My advanced power settings had my CPU locked at 5% load, even though I never edited this value, and it's a desktop. Figured I would answer since I figured this out almost 2 years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...