Monday 15 April 2019

internet - Why is it so hard to connect with a cable modem and router?

I've gone through various combinations of cable modems, routers, computers, and apartments in my life, and one thing has always puzzled me. Why is it so difficult to get these things to connect to the internet? Once I'm connected, they work great, but establishing the initial connection is always painful.


I dread the days when I need to unplug my modem or router, because it usually results in something like this:



  1. Plug everything back in.

  2. Wait, fruitlessly trying to load google.com every few minutes.

  3. Check router's status, and see that it has IP 0.0.0.0.

  4. Unplug one device at random.

  5. Wait five minutes, while facing Jerusalem.

  6. Plug device back in.

  7. Check router again, now it has a private address like 192.168.x.x.

  8. Unplug something else.

  9. Call my cable company.

  10. While waiting on hold, google.com finally loads.


Why is this? Is this an inherently difficult problem? Is there a foolproof technique that I'm not aware of?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...