Saturday 20 April 2019

How to power a 3.5in drive from a laptop?


I have an Asus S96S and the screen went bad. So i want to make it a desktop. I want to add a nice big hard disk thats relativley cheap. I don't want to use external power.


So basic question is, where can i find an adapter that changes usb power to sata power (for 3.5" drive), and use esata for data connection?



Answer



As Ignacio pointed out, USB does not supply enough juice to power a 3.5" drive all by itself. You want an external harddrive enclosure, which will allow you to connect the drive to the laptop over USB or eSata for the data, and use an AC adapter to provide power.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...