Wednesday 2 October 2019

Make GNU screen survive reboot

I am using GNU screen a lot. I find it very annoying that everytime the server has to be rebooted I lose all my sessions (even if I know in advance, I need to set-up everything again).


I've searched the web for possibilities how to make screen survive a reboot, but found nothing that works for me. Some of the methods I found and there flaws:



  • CryoPID: seems to be dead, promising since 2005 to include support for screen

  • DMCTP: has problems with setuid(), didn't work for me (I admit I didn't try very hard)

  • some script trying to recreate the session from scratch; you still lose your history and I think also the environments variables are not correctly set (and when I tried it didn't bring up all sessions)


Maybe somebody knows some better process freezer? This seems to be the most promising way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...