Friday 31 May 2019

wireless networking - bcm4331 (wifi) doesn't work on FreeBSD 10.1

I've installed FreeBSD 10.1 on my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (MacBook Pro 9.2). Everything works pretty good, except Wifi interface (bcm4331).


FreeBSD has two modules - bwi-firmware-kmod and bwn-firmware-kmod for Broadcom devices. According to their man pages, both of them don't support bcm4331 device.


Okay, we can think that FreeBSD doesn't support bcm4331, at least yet. But tonight I've looked into bwn-firmware-kmod and bwi-firmware-kmod makefiles, and found that they use b43-fwcutter. You can find Makefile for bwn-firmware-kmod here.


It is an utility to extract firmware from proprietary drivers. When we install bwn-firmware-kmod from ports, he's makefiles downloads proprietary driver from http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/, extracts firmware from there using b43-fwcutter and builds module using this firmwares.


So the problem is quit simple, bwn-firmware-kmod's makefile downloads broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2 and works with it.


I've found that Linux supports bcm4331 devices, and I've tested it under Ubuntu 14.04. It works perfect there. Here is some instruction about how to get this device working in Linux using b43-fwcutter: http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/en/users/Drivers/b43/#Other_distributions_not_mentioned_above.


So I think I have to download some another version of proprietary driver, extract firmware from there and use it with bwn-firmware-kmod. But I even don't know if I am right or not in my theories. If I'm right, then I can continue to research source codes, and try to support bcm4331 by myself.


Is there anybody who can help me to make bcm4331 working under FreeBSD 10.1?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...