Friday 24 May 2019

How to replace GRUB boot loader, from within Windows?


I have dual boot (Debian and Windows XP), and the boot is from GRUB. I want to remove Linux and grub, and restore the Windows boot. However, I cannot use installation CD to restore the MBR. Thus, I want to restore Windows boot from inside the Windows. There is a software called EasyBCD, but it works for Windows Vista/7 bootloader, and does not work with Windows XP standalone.


Is there a similar program for Windows XP or a method to do so safely from within the Windows environment?


NOTE: My problem is that this is an old computer which does not boot from USB and has a broken CD drive. Thus, if corrupting boot loader, there should be a long way to recover the computer.



Answer



As far as you can boot Windows use the following command at the Windows command prompt:



fdisk /mbr



then don't forget to set the active partition


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...