Tuesday 28 May 2019

windows 8.1 - Why does explorer.exe has an established connection to a microsoft server?

This seems a bit odd. Using netstat -a -b -n I've found the following:


TCP 192.168.1.X:1150   157.56.124.76:443 ESTABLISHED [Explorer.EXE]

It turns out that the ip 157.56.124.76 which resolves to db3wns2011017.wns.windows.com is a static ip from Microsoft.


Moreover, using tcpView from sysinternals I can see that it's a TCP connection over https.


I tried closing the connection and after a second it was back on. Initially a kb of data was sent and nothing after that..


What is this all about and why is it Established?


I have windows 8.1 enterprise. I don't have OneDrive or any other microsoft cloud stuff installed. This is persistent, and is there after booting.


update


After finding out that this is related to Windows Push Notifications, I followed the steps here to disable such notifications, but the connection remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...