Monday 27 May 2019

windows - How to use Dropbox with Truecrypt?


I have some files that need to be accessible from multiple computers, but encrypted on each computer. Something like the 'shared folder' feature on Dropbox, but with the folder encrypted locally on each computer.


What I'm looking for:



  • A folder shared between multiple computers running Vista or Mac OS X

  • This folder is encrypted of each of the computers

  • The unencrypted files are accessible when logging in to the Dropbox homepage.


Basically, I guess I am looking to encrypt the Dropbox folder on each of the computers, but only having Dropbox syncing the unencrypted content.


Is this possible? And please ask if the above is unclear.


Cheers!



Answer



I'd guess that if any TrueCrypt or OS X encrypted folder is accessible before Dropbox starts (maybe Dropbox will even keep trying if access fails initially), then Dropbox might very well be oblivious about the fact that its local storage is actually encrypted?


Then all there's to do: set up an encrypted folder, and then make Dropbox use that folder. The latter is simply a preference (on a Mac: "Dropbox Folder Location").


(On a Mac, such folder will not be backed up by Time Machine until you log off. But as Dropbox is keeping revisions as well, I guess that can be used as a backup.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...