Monday 3 February 2020

windows server 2008 r2 - Can I manage my own domain using a web sever at home without having a static IP address using NO-IP?


I have purchased my own domain in GoDaddy. I have a server at home, Windows Server 2008 R2 to be specific. I do not have a static IP address, however I have created an account in No-IP, have the DUC software running which assures that the hostname I was provided with will always point to the dynamic IP address at my place.


However, in GoDaddy they ask for an IP to specify where is the site hosted. How can I do this?



Answer



You can point sub-domains at your dynamic DNS name using CNAME records. However, you cannot point the base of the domain itself without using a proxy.


So if your domain is example.com, you can make www.example.com work just by adding a CNAME for www to your dynamic DNS name.


GoDaddy's offers a redirection service. Say your domain is example.com. To make http://example.com work (without a www) use GoDaddy's HTTP proxy service to redirect example.com to www.example.com. You'll need an A record for example.com that points to GoDaddy's redirection service.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...