Saturday 8 February 2020

virtualbox - Why Virtual Box won't give me option to create 64 bits guests?

My host is x64 bits Windows 8.1.


I downloaded the latest Virtual Box (4.3) and I'm trying to create a VM with a 64 bits Ubuntu OS (ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-amd64).


When I go to New VM wizard, it doesn't give me option to select "Ubuntu (x64)" as I have seen in other people's screenshots, only just "Ubuntu". As a result, the ISO can't boot. I tried in another PC and Virtual Box gives the x64 variants to most listed OS...


Control Panel shows x64 OS, x64 processor. My host laptop is a Sony Vaio VPCZ22UGX/N, Intel® Core™ i7-2640M processor. CPUz shows Vx-t is available on my processor, of course.


Here is what I tried so far:




  • I enabled IO APIC as required in the docs.




  • I have virtualization enabled in the BIOS. It works fine in VMware.




  • Check that Hyper-V is not running or even installed on my Windows. Same for VMware.




  • I also tried running the command:


    VBoxManage modifyvm [vmname] --longmode on




for that VM, but no change.. I think the issue is really that I can't select x64 variant of the Ubuntu OS for that VM. Other people seem to indicate that's a requirement, but I don't get that option for some reason.


I spent a lot of time and can't find what's wrong... Anyone knows what could be missing here?


Thank you very much!!


Eduardo

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...