Saturday 8 February 2020

audio - Accidentally removed own NTFS rights from volume in Windows 7

I am using Windows 7 and my hard drive is partitioned to C: and D: drives. Yesterday I tried to limit some permissions for other users to volume D and accidentally denied everything for group "Users"


Now I can not access the drive even if I am administrator to the local computer. I did not touch the administrator permissions. I can not get to the Security tab of the volume because it says "Access denied".


How can I reset NTFS permissions or get my permissions back? Option is also, if possible, to backup my data to USB drive with some software and format the disk to start over.


I have tried:



  • Booting to safe mode

  • CMD: takeown /F D: /R

  • Changed the drive letter to F: No use and reverted to D.


Thank you for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...