The ISO image of both Windows 7 and Windows 8 had a file ei.cfg that could be modified to allow a user to install any edition of Windows.
Since I am going to install the Windows 10 operating system on several different machines with different configurations, I would like to minimize the number of downloads I have to do in order to save bandwidth and time.
I would therefore like to know if the Windows 10 ISO also have this file for changing the windows edition (ei.cfg) or I have to download each one separately.
Answer
I found that the Windows 10 does not have a ei.cfg file like in Windows 7 and Windows 8. Microsoft however provides two "All Editions" versions in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. Also, due to the layout of the disc, it is possible to combine both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of both of the "All Editions" discs in order to create a "Universal Install Disc"
I explain below how to obtain 32-bit or 64-bit All Editions disc and then a Universal Install Disc
How to download a Windows 10 All Editions Disc
- With a web browser running on any operating system apart from Wiindows 7 or Windows 8 (e.g. OSX, Linux, Android, Windows XP), visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO.
You can also modify your User Agent to falsely report your operating system if your browser supports it before clicking on the link. - Select the edition you want to download (i.e. Windows 10, Windows 10 KN, Windows 10 N, Windows 10 Single Language) and then click Confirm.
- Select the language you want to download and then clck Confirm.
You will now be presented with two buttons for downloading the 32-bit and/or 64-bit versions of Windows 10. The links are valid for 24 hours after which they expire.
How to create a Windows 10 Universal Install Disc
- Download both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 as shown above.
- Download the disc layout from here.
- Extract the Win10MultiIsoBase.zip file to a destination of your choice.
- Merge the contents of the Windows 10 ISO images with the extracted files by extracting the contents of the 32-bit ISO into the x86 folder and the 64-bit ISO into the x64 folder.
- Using ImgBurn, create an ISO image with the merged data.
Remember to make the image bootable by following these steps:- Select the Advanced tab and then the Bootable Disc tab.
- Check the Make Image Bootable check box.
- Download and use this file as the Boot Image.
- Choose
80x86as the Platform ID. - Enter
Microsoft IMAPIv2as the Developer ID. - Enter
07C0as the Load Segment. - Enter
8as the Sectors to Load.
- Optionally, burn the ISO to disc. You will have to use a DVD DL since the image file generated will be larger than 4.7 GB. After completing my download and examining the ISO, I have found that there is no
ei.cfgfile.
Credit to DOOManiac for finding how to download the ISO images and Danial B for the Windows 10 Multi-ISO base layout.
Original Post:
After completing my download and examining the ISO, I have found that there is no ei.cfg file.
I am still searching for a way to achieve 'universal' install capability and I'll update this answer when I find one.
No comments:
Post a Comment