Monday 24 June 2019

hardware rec - Making an old computer quieter


I have an old Athlon XP computer that I've been using as a Smoothie Router for about 3 years now, after my first Smoothie router (a Pentium 2 266Mhz) died. One of the most aggravating things about this computer is the fact that its noisy. I have built recent computers that have been quiet, but my secret for those is to get high CFU fans and then use the motherboard's fan controllers to make those fans quiet. This computer doesn't have that ability.


Can anyone recommend some super quiet fans in the 80mm and 120mm sizes, as well as a quiet CPU cooler for Socket 754?



Answer



SilentPCReview, which Strop mentioned above, maintains an occasionally-updated list of their recommended case fans. Obviously you can only do so much with 80 mm fans.


They also have a list of recommended heatsinks, but I've found that you need to do more of your own research in this area, simply because there are so many brands and models to choose from for any given socket. I generally look through all the cheap, well-rated tower heatsinks with copper heatpipes and aluminum plates. This Newegg SERP may be relevant.


Normally one of the smaller Xigmatek models is an practical if unassuming choice, but being on socket 754 is somewhat limiting. A more traditional model, with the fan blowing down, may be fine since your cooling needs aren't incredibly high. The Thermaltake A4017-01 looks particularly cheap, quiet, and well-rated, and it's AMD-only, which may ease installation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...