Wednesday 26 June 2019

linux - How to install OS to an old laptop - can I install an OS into a Laptop HDD directly?

I have an old Compaq Presario v2000 that doesn't have an OS, working DVD or USB booting. Well, the link in the first comment says this might be possible however that is not yet tried out.


It does have a working grub though none of the OS really boots up. It was working until I tried to resize the primary parition when it was mounted.


My goal is to to install an OS into the HDD without the last possible option ie PXE Boot.


Is there any fancy things I could do at the grub level to make things work again? If not, would it possible to use a IDE-HDD USB and dd an ISO into this or installing a complete OS from a different machine? I am just hacking around to learn mostly. Any other novel approaches are also welcome!


Some related links:


Need to boot from USB on laptop that doesn't support booting from USB devices


Booting from USB when BIOS doesn't support it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...