Sunday 23 June 2019

windows - What is "%AppData%"?


I just recently followed some instructions to reset GitHub for Windows by deleting two folders in the explorer found under %AppData% and %LocalAppData% respectively.


I've seen these paths before but never understood them, and searching for them didn't yield the information I wanted to find.


What does the percent sign mean in filepaths on Windows (as opposed to navigating via C:\Users\etc), and what are the folders AppData and LocalAppData?



Answer



%WORD% is how cmd.exe (and Windows in general) does variables. So %AppData% is the variable name for the application data directory.


C:\Users\USERNAME>echo The value of ^%AppData^% is %AppData%
The value of %AppData% is C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...