Friday 28 June 2019

sata - Can I wipe a Samsung 850 Evo SSD by plugging it into another computer through an enclosure and using erase software?


I'm soon sending my computer to a repair shop and I want to wipe my SSD first before sending it in. I detatched the 850 Evo SSD from my computer and was wondering if I could connect it to a laptop through an enclosure like this one and using software to wipe off / secure erase the data. I don't have another PC to plug my SSD in, so I have to rely on this method.



Answer



Yes, you can wipe your SSD by attaching the drive in a USB enclosure to another computer.


However, there is more to consider here:


Due to the nature of how modern SSDs work, a generic wiping utility will not necessarily erase all your data. Fragments of your data can be left, albeit in an unreadable state. Typically, this is "good enough."


However, if you want to properly and securely wipe your SSD clean, leaving no remnants, you must use the SSD's manufacturer specific SSD wiping utility. For Samsung, it is the Samsung Magician Software.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...