Tuesday 17 September 2019

networking - Share Windows computer internet connection with Raspberry Pi


I have a Raspberry Pi that can't have physical access to the router, but I have a PC that does.


I would like to share internet connection from the PC to the Raspberry via the USB cable*, not via the ethernet cable, so that it receives both power and internet connection from the PC it is connected to.


Is it possible?


If yes, is there a way to make this connection look like a bridged connection, like virtualbox/vmware do? I would like to have a different IP address for the RPi.


Thanks!



Answer



In Linux, support for Ethernet over USB is in-bult: there are the drivers cdc_ether and rndis. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing in Windows. However, you can buy an Ethernet over USB adapter, for something around 10 euros, and plug an ethernet able from that to the Windows pc. This way, Windows will see a connection over Ethernet, and Raspbian (which is a Linux distro, basically Debian for arm architectures) already has the proper driver for Ethernet over USB.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...