Wednesday 18 September 2019

memory - Occasional BSOD at Windows 8 cold boot


My new computer with Windows 8 Pro occasionally shows BSOD with sad smile, but only during cold boot.


CPU: i7-3770
MB: ASUS P8B75-M BIOS v.1002
MEM: 32GB (4x8Gb) Geil


After the system has loaded, it seems stable and does not fail even under high workload. I observed BSOD only during cold boots (not after restart) and all with different error codes.


Any ideas?



Answer



Following the advice to run memtest x86+, I downloaded it, burnt boot-CD, and launched it. Two full passes took almost 12 hours and found no errors, which is great:


http://i.stack.imgur.com/qY9cm.jpg


Still I decided to launch memtest once more after the computer is off for some time immediately after power-on. And the errors appeared in the first simplest tests:


http://i.stack.imgur.com/lxyU3.jpg


This quite perplexes me. I even tried to turn off fast start-up in BIOS and to increase the delay after POST to 10 seconds, thinking that it might be due to initialization of some hardware, but without any success. Soon after power-on, memtest still finds few errors and then the system becomes absolutely stable.


It does seem to be my memory since changing memory modules does help me. It is necessary to check the qualified list of modules from M/B producer, and using the recommended ram.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...