Sunday 15 September 2019

cpu - Does anyone know the temperature ranges one can expect on a core2 duo


Some background.
I'm having problems with my computer suddenly shutting down and then refusing to start unless I wait awhile. So I'm assuming it's a temperature problem.


I installed SpedFan and it showed System 48C and CPU 50C it shut down again shortly after. I have since the removed the side of my computer for better airflow.


I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz with a stock fan
I'd like to know the ranges it should feel comfortable in.


Celsius please.
(And please do include some references/links)


EDIT:
Thanks for all the answers. As the cpu-temp wasn't the problem I started poking about a bit more inside my computer and touched something very hot. My new suspect (as someone noted) is the PSU is to blame. I cant feel any exhaust in the back of it (it has a 120mm fan) and i put a thermometer on it for a few minutes and it was 54C on the outside.


EDIT2: Conclusion
As the computer was still under warranty I took it back to the shop for service and they gave me a new PSU.



Answer



The max case temperature is 72.4C. The processor itself will likely be hotter than that. (source: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB9L#).


If your software is reporting a core temp of 50C you should be fine.


If you have added additional hard drives, a beefier video card or more power thirsty RAM, it may be that your power supply is too small (too low wattage). Other potential causes are bad sticks of RAM.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...