Thursday 14 March 2019

software rec - Do Google and Facebook keep track of the sites I browse outside of their own sites?


I've noticed that on a lot of news sites and stuff, there is that icon that says "Share with Facebook" and sometimes even information about friends that have commented on the particular news article.


Does that mean that Facebook are not going keeping track of what I do on Facebook, but also what I do on every Facebook that has the "Share with Facebook" sign whether I like it or not? If so, what amount of information could they track? Just the fact that I went to that site or more specific information about me?


Same with Google ads, a lot of sites have Google ads - if I'm logged onto my gmail, does that mean Google literally has a live web history of every site I've been to?


Are there any "blocker" apps I can download in order to prevent large companies from linking my web activities with my email or Facebook account?



Answer



Look at Ghostery...



Ghostery allows you to block scripts from companies that you don't trust, delete local shared objects, and even block images and iframes. Ghostery puts your web privacy back in your hands.



Works on:



  • Firefox

  • Google Chrome

  • Safari

  • Internet Explorer


@Sathya mentioned WidgetBlock and Disconnect.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How can I VLOOKUP in multiple Excel documents?

I am trying to VLOOKUP reference data with around 400 seperate Excel files. Is it possible to do this in a quick way rather than doing it m...